Click to order now!The Complete Guide to Service Learning
Proven, Practical Ways to Engage Students in Civic Responsibility, Academic Curriculum, & Social Action – Second Edition, Book with Digital Download of 200+ pages of additional content
By Cathryn Berger Kaye, M.A.
The Complete Guide to Service Learning is the go-to resource in the fast-growing field of service learning. It is an award-winning treasury of service activities, service ideas and examples, quotes, reflections, and resources that can help teachers and youth workers engage young hearts and minds in reaching out and participating in purposeful action. Author, and internationally known service learning expert, Cathryn Berger Kaye presents service learning—its importance, the five stages, essential elements, and opportunities—within a curricular context and organized by theme.
This new revised and updated second edition maintains the easy-to-use format of the original and is enhanced to reflect the most up-to-date information on service learning programs and pedagogy.
This comprehensive guide is for anyone who cares about service learning: teachers who teach it, officials who mandate it, youth leaders who facilitate it, and youth who participate and ultimately gain the abilities to lead the way. Highly recommended for teacher education, faculty use this book as a class text to prepare students for the classroom. Open anywhere to find motivation, supporting facts or examples, or useful resources. Or start at the beginning to get the big picture. Drawing on years as a classroom teacher and service learning program developer and trainer—on local, state, national, and internationally—Cathryn tells you everything you want and need to know about service learning.
- A blueprint for service learning, from getting started to assessing the experience
- Integration of K–12 service learning standards new!
- Inspiring quotations, background information and resources, preparation activities, real-life examples and service ideas that have worked for other teachers
- 13 thematic chapters (including 2 new themes) covering topics commonly selected for service learning experiences:
- AIDS Education and Awareness
- Animal Protection and Care
- Emergency Readiness new!
- The Environment
- Healthy Lives, Healthy Choices new!
- Hunger, Homelessness, and Poverty
- Safe and Strong Communities
- Social Change: Issues and Action
- Special Needs and Disabilities
- Hundreds of real-life field-tested service learning ideas, including many new examples from all over the world
- Ideas for fortifying service learning programs by incorporating global literacy and creating a culture of service new!
- With an easy digital download, you can have an additional 200+ pages of forms and bonus materials including:
- All of the planning and tracking forms from the book, many customizable
- 39 sample planning templates for all service learning themes at each grade level
- 10 original essays written by experts in the field
- More than 300 additional book recommendations
- 22 author interviews, including new interviews with authors Laurie David, Allan Stratton, Cynthia Lord, Jordan Sonnenblick, Tony Johnston, Kathe Koja, Danica Novgorodoff, Dana Reinhardt, Janet Tashjian, Deborah Ellis, Sonia Levitin, Ellen Senisi, and more!
“Bookshelf” sections describe hundreds of books that offer teachable moments about community service, responsibility, caring, and helping, as well as ways to encourage discussion and make the lesson last. Each of the more than 300 annotated book listings helps combine literature and service learning.