CBK Associates delivers professional development to institutes of higher education on Service Learning, Reflection, Best Teaching Practice, Classroom Engagement, Common Core Standards Integration, and Community Collaboration. We build partnerships with K-12 schools and organizations. Our keynotes and workshops model teaching for today’s students with an emphasis on interaction and inquiry.
Recent Collaborations include:
College of St. Rose, Albany, New York: For consecutive years, Cathryn Berger Kaye brought professional development on Service Learning in Higher Education hosted by the College of St. Rose and attended by faculty from Sage Colleges, Schenectady College, Union Graduate School of Education, and the Capital Region BOCES.
Miami Dade College, Miami, Florida: With eight campuses, Miami Dade College (MDC) is the largest education institution in the United States with over 174,000 students. And they have a heart for service learning. For numerous years, CBK Associates has provided:
- Workshops on service learning on multiple campuses
- Assisted in promoting service learning with aspiring teacher educators
- Collaborated on grant development and implementation to advance service learning in local schools
- Provided a professional development Institute leading to the development of a service learning certificated course provided through MDC to Miami Dade Schools teachers
- Organizational support and on-site assistance to develop a collaboration between southern Florida colleges and universities to create a consortium for service learning
Southern Methodist University, Dallas Texas: Cathryn Berger Kaye presented a full day of programming for the Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development, as part of the Gifted Students Institute Distinguished Lecture Series. The day was spent with educators on the issue of Replacing Bullying with Respectful Relationships followed by an evening conversation with parents.
San Jose State University, San Jose, California: The leading California State University in teacher preparation San Jose State University, SJSU, has a commitment to service learning. CBK Associates has:
- Partnered with the SJSU Department of Education on a grant that resulted in a three-day Institute bringing together teacher education faculty from 19 Cal State campuses to advance service learning, the first such conference of its kind in the United States
- To prepare preservice teachers for success with service learning, Cathryn Berger Kaye led two days of workshops. On day one attendees were preservice teachers about to start their student teacher and lead service learning experiences. Day two was attended by their receiving teachers to ensure they could offer the proper support.
International Center for Service Learning in Teacher Education: In addition to serving on the Advisory Board for this organization, Cathryn has assisted with three international conferences held in: Brussels, Belgium; Galway, Ireland; and Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For each conference she:
- Assisted with program design and development
- Planned and co-lead with Don Hill a World Café to develop collaboration and communication
- Led interactive sessions to model service learning best practices
We have also worked with additional universities and colleges across the country including in Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Hawaii, California, Washington, Arizona, New York, and Texas, and internationally in Singapore and Barcelona.
What People are Saying . . .
“Cathy Berger Kaye is, in a word, DYNAMIC. Her presentation style is vibrant and engaging, her knowledge extensive. She can easily move from talking about opportunities for community involvement for K-12 students to suggesting how to infuse high quality service-learning into college and university curriculums. As a conference presenter, she is the morning get-the-crowd-going and the late afternoon picker-upper. She simply wows her audience.”– Linda S. Hargreaves, Program Coordinator, Undergraduate Studies, University of Central Florida
“As a career educator who has been to more workshops than I can count, I can honestly say that this was the most outstanding one I have attended. Your passion for service learning and your expertise, combined with your amazing skills in presenting, resulted in a workshop that is motivating and inspiring. You have certainly channeled our energies and given new direction to the power of education to change the world.”–Anita Meinbach, Ed.D., University of Miami School of Education, Miami, Florida